Tuesday, June 13, 2006

moving again?

Jason has stumbled upon a difficult situation with work. In a nutshell, he hates it and wants to leave. Not just leave work, he wants to leave.. California.. in a week.

When he initially brought this to my attention, I thought he was nuts and was making some really lame joke. We agreed a long time ago that we would move, but I wanted Lily to be at least 1 year old. (she'll be 1 on December 27th this year) However, now that the whole work thing has come up, he finds no point to be in California anymore. We've already decided we were going to move to St. Louis, Missouri. I wanted to live in a city that wasn't too small, still industrial and fun, someplace with culture, and a good education system. St. Louis' real estate is still affordable, and Jason could buy another apartment complex for investment. This is all planned. I already agreed to it. What I didn't agree to was that we were going to move.. like.. now.

I'm a planner. I always have been. Ask FB.. he knows I'm very meticulous about cleanliness and order. I like order in the home, work, wherever. Asking me to pack up EVERYTHING (including Lily) and moving to a city I've never been to before is A LOT. In fact, I've downright said no.

I want to see the city before we move. I want to find a place to live, not just drive out there with a U-HAUL and find someplace to live when we get there. That makes no sense to me. When asked where we'd stay, he said, "Oh.. we can find a hotel or something.. or we could live in a mobile home." A what??? Did you just say we could live in a mobile home? To clarify, he didn't mean a mobile home in a trailer park.. one of those manufactured deals that actually look like homes. He meant a MOBILE home, like a Winnebago.

I don't think I'm being ridiculous, a word Jason has used frequently in the past week to describe my behavior. Is it really that much to take the time to see the city, find a place, get it set up, THEN move?

Arg.

4 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Jay Six said...

Ridiculous isn't the word to describe you in this situation. He has a daughter now, so he can't go and make half-cocked decisions to live in his car and stuff anymore. So stand your ground and keep that little girl here until you're comfortable with his decision making.

And thanks for the birthday wishes!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger PJS said...

Ummm, I take like six months to decide to walk a different route to work! So to me it doesn't sound unreasonable that you need some time for the idea of a cross-country move to sink in; that you want to explore the possibilities and get a sense of the place before you just jump off the proverbial cliff.

Sometimes a guy needs to be gently reminded that a relationship is made up of TWO people (in your case three).

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Armilish said...

THANK YOU!!!

I talked to Jason's sister last night and she laughed at how terrible her brother is at marketing. Funny, huh?

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

One of my direct reports works in the St. Louis office. If you have any questions about parts of town to live in, etc., send them to me at jakemccafferty@comcast.net. (Be sure to leave a comment over at BaT telling me to check my e-mail.) Her husband is 5-0, so I should get some good info.

I've only been in St. Louis a couple of times, so I can't tell you much about it. Good BBQ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home